Career Resources & Incentives
New & Beginning Teacher Resources
- Mentor Programs – Information, including guidelines and training resources, for school divisions to meet requirements for mentoring beginning teachers for a successful transition into the classroom.
Teacher Incentive Programs
- National Board Certification – Information about this voluntary certification process designed to complement initial state licensure and subsidy grants for teachers interested in pursuing National Board Certification.
- Virginia Middle School Teacher Corps (MSTC) - Mathematics – Incentive information and eligibility requirements for experienced middle school mathematics teachers interested in teaching in schools designated as "at risk in mathematics" as determined by being accredited with warning in mathematics. Information is also available for schools eligible to participate in this initiative.
- Financial Support - Information and eligibility requirements for several loan forgiveness programs, scholarships, and other funding opportunities related to the recruitment and retention of educators.
Advancing to School LeadershipInformation on requirements for educators interesting in seeking leadership or administrative roles.
- VDOE :: Principal Performance and Evaluation
- Virginia Leads Innovation Network (VaLIN) | Commonwealth Learning Partnership - VALIN is the result of the close collaboration and stewardship of resources between VDOE and many other partners. Leaders from these organizations have worked closely to leverage available resources that directly and measurably augment K-12 educational leadership capacity. Their activity represents a powerful, replicable form of partnership between government agencies, regional professional associations, non- and for-profit entities, as well as higher education institutions.
Employment of Retirees in Critical Shortage AreasLegislation by the General Assembly allows retired teachers who are members of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) to be considered for hire by a school division to fill vacancies in critical shortage areas and continue to receive the retirement allowance.
- Retirees Returning to Work | Virginia Retirement System - Guidance on Retiree return-to-work options (video).
- Working After Retirement - more information about VRS and IRS guidelines for returning to work.
- VDOE :: Education Workforce Data & Reports - shows current Critical Teaching Shortage Areas in Virginia.
TeacherDirect provides a direct line of communication with classroom teachers and educators. TeacherDirect includes information about new instructional resources created by VDOE staff as well as professional development, grant opportunities, and other information of special interest to teachers and their students.